I have mixed feelings about 2022, the most eventful year in my life, which I have documented on social media.
It was a year of health scares, for my family and me, but also the launch of Socialize, which feels like something to which my whole life has been leading. And throughout it all, social media has been my inspiration, my vehicle for connecting with people who I have helped and who have helped me, and, hopefully, the building blocks of a powerful new movement.
Side note: you have one last chance to post in 2022, here’s a tip if you’re struggling with what you want to do:
Template: @themuthership Create a quick countdown to kick off the new year! #CapCutNYE #TikTokHolidays #tutorial #themuthership @capcut
As you reflect on your past year and think towards the future, I wanted to share the seven things I learned (or re-learned) this year, in the hopes it helps you continue to explore your voice and passions in the new year.
- Social media can be a great way to connect and meet new people who can enhance your life. This is true in normal moments, where the right video can make you laugh or learn something new, but especially in times of trouble or stress, where it can feel like it’s saving your life. I’ve been fortunate to have so many people share with me how valuable my videos have been to teach them a new trick or to give them a way to tell a story in a unique way, but I’ve also had the joy of receiving that back, in a comment I received from someone about health updates or learning something new (even the TikTok teacher sometimes needs to be taught!).
- Trends are fun, but they are not the only way to go viral and gain followers. You know I love a good trend. But trends are trends for a specific reason. Everyone is doing them! If you’re always following trends, you’ll never find your own voice, nor create something unique to put into the world. And who knows, your original idea could be tomorrow’s trend. Take the opportunity to branch out and try something new.
- Just when you think you’ve seen it all, someone comes up with something new and interesting – and this could be you! Like the learning above, don’t feel like social media is just the place to follow what everyone else is doing. Come up with your own story, lean into what makes you unique, and create something that makes you laugh or smile or cry. More people will respect or admire your creativity than you think.
- Promoting products on social media is best done with storytelling as a way to create a bond with your potential customers. The secret is out – social media is a great way to sell products. But the gap between those who can move products and those whose videos fail to impress is due to storytelling. You cannot treat social media like a billboard or a coupon – you need to produce something that will stop people in their tracks amidst such other great content.
- Creating content can be a fun way to relieve stress and foster creativity! Oh how I wish I didn’t learn this lesson this year, but there’s no sugarcoating it – I had a lot of stress this year. And the only thing that came close to the support of my family was sharing my creativity with my online family. It’s no exaggeration to say that a major part of the reason my strength returned after such traumatic health issues was the fun I had creating new content and interacting with my online family!
- Your posts can go viral weeks after the fact, so don’t delete your content. We all know the feeling of disappointment when you only get a few views on something you’ve poured your heart into. But don’t despair. Some of the most popular posts started slowly. And also remind yourself – you’re creating on social media to express yourself. If even one person finds what you do meaningful, you’ve put something amazing into the world.
- Positivity on social media far outweighs negativity if you keep your feed focused on joyful content. 2022 has challenged us all. But let’s not dwell on the negative. Let’s find positives to hold onto and cherish and let’s make our content about the best things in life. People will find your content and celebrate and share it because we’re all looking for greatness in 2023!
Hope this was helpful for you as you think about one year ending and a new one beginning. Let me know what you learned in 2022 and what you hope to accomplish in 2023!